What is Chiropractic?
Chiropractic aids the health of the body’s nervous system, in a natural non-invasive way. It is based on the philosophy of the body being a self-healing system. As a doctor of chiropractic, I can help you prevent illness and relieve pain throughout all the stages of your life. Let us play an intricate role in your family’s health!
Your body wants to be healthy and function at is optimum potential, and it knows how to heal itself. Natural healing is about using therapies that assist the body’s innate ability to correct an imbalance. These imbalances are called disease.
Optimum health reflects all areas of well-being; mind – body – and spirit.
Modern Chiropractic was founded in 1895 by Daniel Palmer, a holistic practitioner with a clinic in Davenport, Iowa. The clinic’s janitor had been deaf for 17 years. Upon inquiring about his condition, Palmer examined him and noticed a bump indicating a misaligned vertebra. Upon the application of an “adjustment” to realign his spine, the janitor regained full hearing. Thus began the profession of modern chiropractic.
Daniel Palmer’s chiropractic principles are:
The spine is a wonderful and amazing structure that supports the body and allows for such great ranges of movement, but more than that it also houses the Central Nervous System (CNS) and acts like a switchboard for the nervous system. Did you know that nerves connect to all organs, muscles and very single cell of the entire body? Did you know that these nerves exit the spine between each vertebra? Chemical electric impulses from these nerves control all the organs, muscles, your metabolism and every cell and tissue in your entire body. They control life itself!
Causes of Subluxation
There are many causes for why vertebra misalignments occur and are sometimes unavoidable. They can occur at any point during your life time and might be there for years before they have started to cause you pain or a noticeable problem with your metabolism and cause you to get it checked out by a chiropractor.
Some common causes for spinal misalignments and or subluxations are:
- A difficult pregnancy or deli every at birth. This can affect the individuals spine for the rest of there life. If the problem is not detected earlier, the spine can develop with irregular curves known as scoliosis to mention just one condition.
- Poor sleeping habits.
- Poor posture.
- A slip and fall at any age.
- Any sports injury.
- A motor vehicle accident or acceleration-deceleration type injury or low velocity and sudden impact.
- Repetitive movement, usually from a work duty, that requires the same body part of time.
- Congenital defects causing compensation of the spine. Short leg is an example.
- Post surgical. Spinal fusion for example can cause many problems to the areas above and below the initial surgery. Scar tissue is another example. Range of motion is another example. There are many more.
- Improper bending, lifting, carrying and or pushing of heavy loads. Poor lifting practices can cause more then just subluxations. Ruptured discs and or bulges, herniation, disc displacement, to name a few.
- Insufficient sleep or relaxation. Exhaustion is one of the most over looked causes I notice in my office.
- Not dealing with and constantly functioning at a high level of emotional stress, trauma or anxiety is another often overlooked cause people do not realize has a major affect on there life’s.
- Environmental affects can cause increased stress to the body such as, pollution, smoking, heavy drinking, fast food, refined and processed foods, white flower, sodas, high quantity of caffeine, chemicals, drugs (medications), low levels of fresh water.